lundi 15 avril 2013
My beauty confessions
I was inspired by Zhu's post over at http://correresmidestino.com/ about being "girly". There are some things about me that might surprise you.
1. I have only been to the hair salon once in the past 12 years - for my wedding day. I didn't even want to go at first, but my mother-in-law made the appointment and pushed me to go. Normally my husband cuts my hair or I just don't cut it.
2. I have no make-up, absolutely none. My mother-in-law and sister-in-law nagged me to wear make-up for my wedding and I reluctantly let my sister-in-law put some mascara on me. I have no idea how to put on make-up. I use no styling products in my hair either. I've never dyed my hair or had a manicure done.
3. I hate, hate, hate blow-dryers. Did I already say that I hate blow-dryers? I can't stand how my hair puffs up and frizzes after blow-drying my hair. I'd rather go outside with wet hair than blow-dry it and have even fallen asleep with wet hair. This shocks the French and even more the Italians. When I tell them that I don't use a blow-dryer they start gasping for air, telling me that I'll get sick and die if I continue not to use one.
4. I still wear some clothes from high school. Finding pants that fit me is rare and when I do, I buy the same ones twice (or more!). My sister and friends give me clothes or I find them. It's not really that I hate shopping, I just hate having clothes sitting around that I don't wear (or that others are not wearing). My cousins in Italy are shocked at my ways because they noticed that I still wear the same clothes as I did during my visit in 2006. A lot of the Italian women I talk to wouldn't be caught dead wearing the same clothes for more than 2 years.
5. I am totally lost when women talk about stores and shopping. "Forever 21, what's that?" I asked tonight during the girls' banter. Silence.
6. I've worn the same earrings for the past 5 years. The only other jewellery I wear is my wedding ring.
7. I have no matching underwear. I'll wear a black bra with white underwear. As long as it's clean, I'll wear it. No one's looking anyway.
8. I do have a purse!
9. I do sometimes use body lotion but only because I have itchy calves.
10. Even though I don't care about beauty, I always make sure I am presentable and clean.
I hope you're not too shocked!
In other news, for anybody who cares to know, I weighed in at just under 63 kg tonight. I kept weighing myself just to see that number again because it has been so long since I weighed this little. So I made my goal for today!
So onto my next goal. I'm going to Milan on the 11th of May to see an Italian friend that lives in Bordeaux. I'd love to surprise her with my new weight (nobody in France knows about my project). My goal? 60 kg, yikes! I have to be realistic, though, because I'm having a visitor at the beginning of May. So I'll realistically aim for 61.
I feel so much better now that I have finally gotten rid of this weight (and have stopped last year's downward spiral of weight gain). No, I don't need new clothes because before I started to lose weight I had convinced myself that my clothes still fit fine (I was bursting out of them). Now they fit like they should. Part of being overweight/obese is convincing yourself that your clothes fit just fine when in reality they are too small. Sometimes I really need a reality check.
I'm just happy to be at (almost, just one more kilo to go!) my wedding weight, a healthy weight. I have to reflect on what I am going to do when I go back to France and how I am going to maintain this. I can't let myself believe that this will all be over as soon as I reach my goal. I have to remind myself of how I got in this position in the first place. I have to learn better self-control so I can handle eating in France.